Lingerie Friday: Bodysuits

Annnd she’s back with Lingerie Fridays, my little weekly dose of lingerie design, inspiration and sewing. As if the dosage hasn’t been full-strength around here! And clearly it’s going all around: y’all have seen Maddie’s adorable new free pattern, the Amerson Undies, right? I can see some very cheeky bloomers popping up around the sewing webs. (Yes, a terrible pun…)

This week I’ve been thinking lots about bodysuits. More and more lingerie designers are catching on to their revival and the modern interpretations are in very lightweight yet surprisingly sleeking materials. But I’m a bit curious how I’d fit one into my wardrobe. Mostly they conjure up my occasional fantasy that I’m a svelte and angular dancer in a Merce Cunningham production.

zimmermann-corsetierre-suit

My interest in this style piqued last summer when I first spotted this Zimmermann “Corsetierre” swimsuit at Anthropologie. It’s a swimsuit, but clearly taking its queue from underthings.

bodysuits

{Mimi Holliday Bisou Bisou, Mimi Holliday Pizazz, Huit Icone bodysuits}

What inspires me are the details–the waist definition, lace panels, keyhole backs and the effortless-looking fit designed to wrap the body. Sometimes I want a extra little shaping and smoothing. Am I just infected by the romanticism of their design? Your honest two cents: Do you own one? Would you wear them? With what?

, , , ,

Comments

1. Helene February 16, 2013 at 2:55 am #

Amy, they’re beautiful! Especially the one from Anthropologie. Yes, I’d wear them, in fact I used to wear similar bodysuits a little while ago… when I was a little younger, and… um, à little thinner ;-)

2. Lene February 16, 2013 at 3:25 am #

I agree with Helen. I would wear them, if only I could make one (or many) myself, I would wear them all the time. I love the pretty floral one the most ….. Sigh!

3. sarah February 16, 2013 at 7:28 am #

I would not wear them. I hated bodysuits with a passion and would never wear one again. I would love to see more longline bras though — a waist-length version of that anthropologie suit as a longline bra would be gorgeous!

• Amy February 22, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

Longline bras are just the best. I wear them a lot now.

4. Kazz February 16, 2013 at 8:21 am #

I’d like to have a go at making a fancy one. I do have a horror story to tell, I did once see a lady who didn’t realize the clips at the crotch had come undone and the back of her body suit was hanging out over her jeans. The poor thing, I think I’d rather have loo roll stuck to my feet.

I can just see you sewing up a stunning version of that Zimmerman, fancy pants you!

5. oonaballoona February 16, 2013 at 8:22 am #

i had one in black lace, one of my first valentine’s gifts from ruggy. (phwoar.) it made me feel very mature for some reason… now of course i want seven.

6. Sallie February 16, 2013 at 9:41 am #

my underwear drawer is far too devoid of anything this beautiful! i’m not sure i’d totally know how to wear one – like under clothing? or just for “show”…? of course the zimmerman corset inspired swimsuit i would totally wear. and i’d know what to do with it! haha!! still these are all lovely…

7. K-Line February 16, 2013 at 9:55 am #

I do own one, and I love it! I’d own more if I could find affordable options and try them on first (buying them on spec is dangerous from a sizing perspective cuz they have to fit perfectly in so many places – and to lift – otherwise they’re not worth it). I can’t say mine gets a ton of wear, it’s not as comfy as, say, not wearing a body suit, but it really does look gorgeous.

• Amy February 22, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

For that reason I rarely buy lingerie online anymore unless I know the brand fit really well. One thing I think it could solve is that problem I have with some of my low-backed summer dresses.

8. K-Line February 16, 2013 at 9:56 am #

BTW, have you seen the new Gossard Glossies one? It’s very cute but plain and practical. You can see it on the Figleaves UK site.

• Amy February 22, 2013 at 11:28 pm #

I just had a looksy… seems like a nice basic!

9. The Lingerie Lesbian February 16, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

I love bodysuits! They’re so gorgeous. I’ve just bought a couple in the last year and I wear them all the time.

10. Shona Stitches February 16, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

I’m not sure I would wear a bodysuit as lingerie, although it is tempting because these are gorgeous! But it seems like it would be awkward to take off (I can just imagine the man’s response once that time comes, haha!).

I would totally LOVE to have a swimsuit like the one above though and it’s giving me all kinds of ideas for this summer. For one, I’m thinking about Ralph Pink’s longline bra pattern as a swimsuit done up similarly to the one above. Ooooooh!

• Amy February 22, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

You could totally frankenpattern a bra with an underwear pattern to come up with something like the Zimmerman swimsuit. Just fiddle with that length in the middle to get the right stretch!

11. poppykettle February 16, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

I’d love to own one. Unfortunately… buying RTW means you have just that many more standardised measurements to fit into before you can actually get a good fit. And with a long body like mine, that’s nigh on impossible. Unless of course… we can make our own!! It’s on the sewing bucket list, for sure. Just as soon as I get around to finishing my bra muslin…

• Amy February 22, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

And I’m so short waisted! Most one pieces fit me but are often way too low cut (again, short waisted). It’s on my very near bucket list!

12. Amber H February 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

I’d have to sew one too! I always wondered why one piece swimsuits never fit me, and it’s because of how ‘endowed’ I am for someone my height… either the top part wants to slide down and flash people, or the bottom wants to travel north! Very awkward I tell ya.

Very pretty to look at of course, I love them all, especially the swimsuit from Anthropologie.

• Amy February 22, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

Yes, I fully intend to make one, too. It’ll help solve the swimsuit problem at the same time!

13. Heather Lou February 18, 2013 at 10:00 am #

I love the LOOK of a bodysuit but man, those things would give me quad ass so fast…. and thong bodysuits are just gross. For the small bummed I think. Sigh.

• Amy February 22, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

Well, if they were the right length and coverage, you definitely wouldn’t have a quad! I’ll experiment for sure.

14. Maddie February 18, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

No freaking way. I just finished creating all the posts for next week (since I’ll be out of town this week) and one was “What I Heart Now: Bodysuits.” Our minds are in the same place so it seems. I’m with you – I like bodysuits but have no idea how to incorporate it into my wardrobe. Looks like a “How I Wore It” post is on the horizon.

15. Maddie February 18, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

Oh, and how did I forget – thanks for the shout out. Hopefully, one day my patterns will be a body suit :)

16. Stephanie February 20, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

I have a vintage DKNY silk blouse body suit. I don’t know if that’s really what you had in mind, since it has only a partial lingere element, but, I love that it keeps the button down shirt sleek looking and you don’t have to worry about constantly tucking it in (I’m long waisted)! Plus, it’s super feminine and fits great, and Donna Karan was awesome at making this kind of stuff in the 80s/90s.

17. Stephanie February 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

If you are wondering how to wear one, especially the very sheer or lacy suits shown here, I think they are wonderful layering pieces under the jersey knit dresses and shirts that have the exaggerated arm holes, or t-backs, wrap fronts, or very deep v necks. The idea being that you only see them partially, but they also provide coverage. I think they look great with jersey knits because of the contrast of pretty frilly with comfort.

18. Carolyn February 24, 2013 at 6:38 am #

Those are pretty, particularly the floral, but I’m not sure if I would ever wear one. I guess you should never say never, though!

19. Lorelai February 26, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

I haven’t had a bodysuit as an undergarment before. I’ve worn American Apparel ones which are great for putting under sheer blouses or pairing with a skirt!

xoxo Lorelai
    Seams Unbiased

20. Kait March 7, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Loooove them. My posture automatically improves whenever I slip one on, probably because I used to dance. =P And so of course, I feel elegant wearing them.

I think stretchy cotton ones are the nicest, and make excellent sleepwear. Usual nightgowns and pants, always bunch up with movement, which is why I’m hooked on night rompers. =)