Hello everyone! I sat down this week to plan out a schedule for the sew-along, and thought it’d be good to share that first before we dive into choosing a pattern (tomorrow’s post!).
I’ve decided to break up the sew-along into three parts, running just around three weeks. That may seem long to some, but I’d really love for this sew-along to be all about fit and style and getting the most out of your bra pattern. Some of you may want to make more than one (because the second one is always better!). And we’ll have some room to answer any questions that come up. The subjects will roll out a bit like this:
First week: Fitting
- Tracing the pattern, cutting out a tester bra
- Sewing the tester bra and first fit
- Fitting alterations for the band and cups (probably 2 posts)
Second week: alterations for style and aesthetics
- Changing the neckline shape and strap positions
- Adjusting for stretch fabrics, changing band styles
- Major style alteration: changing to a vertically-seamed cup (either two or three-piece)
- I might add possible surprise posts here!
end of the third week: sewing our bras!
- Final pattern tweaks and cutting out your bra
- Assembling cups and linings
- Assembling the band, sewing in cups and elastic
- Finishing elastic, channeling, underwires and hooks
This week we’ll make some decisions:
Tomorrow: Picking a Pattern!
Tuesday, December 4: Choosing a size and a way to measure yourself.
Friday, December 7: All about materials! Different types of bra materials and kits, where to find them, along with a list of notions you’ll need.
December 7-January 7: Time to shop and gather and have a Happy Holiday! And I’ll probably eat too much pumpkin pie.
Do I need a blog to participate?
No, please feel welcome to join. I imagine some of you would like to keep your bras a secret ♥.
Do I need a serger?
No, most bras are sewn entirely on a regular machine. You do need a zig-zag stitch for sewing in the elastic.
Can I make a bra for someone else?
Well, sure! Of course she needs to be comfortable with you measuring her pretty closely and fitting a trial bra.
I’ll answer some more pattern-specific questions in the next post!
And you’ll notice I added a new badge to the main sew-along page. Just because… I’m a graphics person and I love making them! Plus I thought some of you might like a sort of vintage-y alternative. I’ve updated both badges, with link codes.