Lingerie Friday: The ‘Rosy Ladyshorts’ Pattern

I’m so excited I’m beside myself. My first lingerie pattern!

The Rosy Ladyshorts pattern–free to download here.

I really loved making this pattern and I foresee more in the future! But phew, even for a small pattern, there is so much work that goes into it from start to finish and I have loads of respect for those who make downloadable patterns and tutorials.

Underwear is a really fun and easy way to gain a bit of experience sewing lingerie and its sometimes delicate fabrics. I really wanted this, my first pattern, to be a beginner-friendly type of project, something to dive into to gain some confidence working with little seams, lace, elastic, etc. You could make about five of these in an afternoon!

The pattern only has text instructions but if you’ve made underwear or swimwear before, it’s fairly self-explanatory. I thought about a sew-along but I think it might be easier if I post a couple tutorials in the next week or so, with tips on fabrics and pattern adjustments, as well as a step-by-step of making these.

For today, let’s talk the very basics! First, I wanted to make this pattern as easy as possible to fit, so there are 8 sizes. I think that allows for more refined fitting than the usual 4-sizes-fits-all undies. For this pattern, you pick a size based on your hip. I’m right in between two sizes so I went with the smaller of the two sizes but I could probably just as easily go with the larger if I wanted a slightly looser fit.

To make these, you need:

• 1 yard/meter lightweight stretch lace fabric (45-60″ wide)
  • 1″ (1.25cm) elastic lace trim
  • little piece of light cotton knit for the liner

I originally designed the pattern around lightweight stretch lace that stretches from 60-70% comfortably. But there are tons of possibilities for fabrics–rayon or cotton jersey, stretch mesh, or lingerie lycra. Really, whatever feels comfy! The main thing is that your fabric needs to be able to stretch 60% without making it taut. That eliminates most woven fabrics so I would definitely go with lace, jersey or mesh. If you know a lace or knit has spandex/lycra, chances are it’ll have a good enough stretch. But since all fabrics behave a little differently, test! Stretch lace is very open, soft and loose and so even when it stretches as much as a jersey it often doesn’t feel as tight–this is why I like the lace boyshorts so much! I’ll share in another post how to make some educated adjustments for different stretch fabrics.

That’s it for today, short and sweet! Let me know if you have any questions about fabrics, pattern printing, whatever!

, ,

Comments

1. hannah October 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

I’m super excited, I’m going to try this out right away! Thank you so much! Now to find out where to get elastic lace trim.

2. Maddie October 19, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

You’re absolutely amazing! You did a stupendous job creating the pattern. I downloaded it and everything looks on point. That doesn’t surprise me though

• Amy October 19, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Thanks, Maddie! That’s so good to hear from you. I would definitely appreciate your critical eye–seriously!

3. Novita October 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

This is amazing! Thank you so much for making the pattern and sharing it for free! \(^o^)/

• Amy October 19, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Yay! I’m glad you like it because YOU are the one that started me in on making lingerie ;).

4. Andrea October 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

Congratulations on your first pattern!
    The Ladyshorts are the cut I love, so I look forward to making them. I’ll let you know how they turn out!

5. Becci October 20, 2012 at 2:01 am #

I love the shape of these ladyshorts. Thanks for making the pattern and for sharing it.

6. Tanit-Isis October 20, 2012 at 7:58 am #

So cool! So exiting! So fun! Congratulations. :D

7. Sallie October 20, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Thank you SO MUCH Amy!!! I’m so excited to try this!! I love love LOVE this pattern – it looks like my favorite pair of undies! I’ll have to make an extra special trip into town this weekend to see if I can dig up some appropriate fabric and notions! Thanks again for all your hard work getting this together!

8. joelle October 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

oh! these are wonderful!!! I just had a look at the pattern and it looks amazing, with all that information about the stretch fabric. THANK YOU!!! i cannot wait to try these! i have been ehhh trying to make lingerie, and so far no great succes with bras, mostly due to sizing. but these ladyshort… they look so comfy and sexy at the same time, whats not to love? and they have to be easier than bras, right?

9. Ginger October 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

How cool! These look amazing– can’t wait to try them out!

10. Susan - Knitters Delight October 22, 2012 at 2:25 am #

Perfect timing! I just picked up a panties fabric pack at the ETA California expo yesterday. I am excited about trying lingerie sewing. Thanks for creating a great pattern.

11. Heather Lou October 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

I. CANNOT. WAIT. TO. SINK. MY. TEETH. INTO. THESE. PANTIES. Wait, that sounded way more lewd than I intended, ha ha. Thank you so much for making these! As soon as this damn Halloween costume is done and I can go get some stretch lace I am going to be all over these! And then in them! They look like they’re gonna fit amazing. I’m definitely curious about trying a pair in a stretch cotton also….

12. Amy October 22, 2012 at 11:47 pm #

Downloaded. Now just need to figure out what’s next… Can’t wait though!

13. Amanda October 23, 2012 at 10:09 am #

I am SO excited to try these!!! Just gotta get out and get some elastic and I think I have everything else I need…. you are awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us all!!

14. Lynda October 25, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Thank you so much!! I will be using this pattern for sure!

15. Joyce October 25, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Look Great !!

16. Stephanie October 27, 2012 at 12:10 am #

How cool! Congratulations to you on your first pattern, Amy. It looks fantastic.

17. Handmade for one year January 29, 2013 at 3:28 am #

I just made a pair of these, and had to say thank you! I love this pattern, and I’m so grateful you made it available.

18. Charlene February 21, 2014 at 7:15 pm #

I has a kwesh’tun:
    So, I have a fairly… um, perky derriere, and generally have trouble getting boy shorts to fit me without riding up. But I love the look of them. So I’ve often thought of making them myself and adding a bit more length to the back pattern piece! But then if I do that, will I throw the whole thing outta whack?

• Amy February 28, 2014 at 7:25 pm #

Hi Charlene, I’m glad you like the pattern. Let’s see if I can help! The only way to know is to make up a quick pair to see if you like the cut. There are many cuts of underwear, even among boyshorts. If you like full bottom coverage, then these will probably not be the kind you are looking for. The Ladyshorts pattern is cut to show a little “cheek”. (Check out this cool graphic to see what I mean–the pattern is cut somewhere between “hint of cheek” and “1/4 cheek”.)

However, if you mean “riding up” as in bunching in between the cheeks, then you could try a size down. Probably a bit more tension will help them not do that. You could try pulling the leg line downward but do it in little amounts–too much downward in front and you will end up cutting into your leg tendon and get some bunching in front crotch. Another way to pull them down is to shorten the crotch extension (and the crotch liner). If you want full bottom boyshorts, the pattern usually looks a little more like really short leggings and are drafted a little differently. I hope this helps!

• Sip March 29, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

Yeah I have a boom going on back there mine fit more like the 3/4 of a cheek lol I prefer hint or 1/4 I cut a 12 how much do suggest I add to the back? I’m sure I would need to grade out and in. The front n back rise are perfect! Btw I have this issue with pants too

19. Judi March 28, 2014 at 9:50 am #

Thank you for the “lady shorts” pattern!!!